WATCH OUT FOR FORECLOSURE RESCUE SCAMS
If you are facing a foreclosure, watch out for foreclosure rescue scams. As soon as your foreclosure case is filed, you might receive many letters, emails, phone calls and advertisements from companies offering to help avoid foreclosure. Although some of the advertising may be from legitimate foreclosure defense law firms, there are a lot of scam companies out there that pray on homeowners. These scam operators might make big promises to refinance or make the foreclosure disappear with a simple bankruptcy filing, but in reality these operators just want to collect a high up-front fee then not perform any substantial work.
What Should I Look Out For?
Look out for the following red flags when you are looking for foreclosure help:
- Company or individual calls itself a “mortgage consultant,” “mortgage rescue service,” or something similar -- notably excluding any reference to law firm, legal services, or attorney
- Charges very high fees before provides any services
- Company or individual is located out of state and/or unwilling to meet in person
- Instructs homeowner to make home mortgage payments directly to the company or individual
- Instructs homeowner to transfer property deed/title to the company or individual
How Do I Know if a Company is Legit?
If you are facing a foreclosure and looking for help, the best practice is to seek out a local law firm that specializes in foreclosure defense. Ask to meet in person for a free consultation, or schedule a video conference call.
At The Law Center, we are a team of specialists that are passionate about the foreclosure process from start to finish and helping homeowners at the highest level. Our staff and attorneys approach each client and each property as a new challenge, one that requires thorough analysis, zealous representation, and thoughtful strategy. It’s your home, let The Law Center help you defend it.
Call us now and speak with a foreclosure expert on how you can make the foreclosure process work for you -- not against you. (312) 600-8815